Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Tuna Casserole




My sister Dena is known for making a killer tuna casserole.  I struggle with tuna but Rikard loves it so I called her up the other day and had her walk me through it.  She suggested using bread crumbs on top but I didn’t have any so I used fried onions and it was delicious.  I love casseroles like this; you can pretty much put anything into them.  I actually really enjoyed this casserole and finally found a way I will eat tuna.

  This also would be a great freezer meal.  I am always on the lookout for good freezer meals. Whenever I go back to the States to visit I make a bunch of freezer meals for Rikard, I like to give him a good combination of meals.  I mean seriously poor guy all alone in the house without me, the least I can do is still feed him. Haha  

My dear friend Fanny says a saying that pops into my head right now… I hope I don’t mess this up. “When the cats go out, the rats come out to play”. Usually it is Fanny and I that are the rats when the guys are out of town working. 

Tuna Casserole

Ingredients
2 Cans               Tuna
2 Cans               Cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
4 Cups               Cooked macaroni noodles
7or8                  Sliced Mushrooms
1                      Diced onion
1 Cup                Frozen Peas
1 Cup                Shredded cheese
1 Cup                French’s fried onions Or any fried onions
Directions
1.  Cook noodles al dente. The last few minutes throw the onions into the boiling water (just to soften them up, so they aren’t too strong in the casserole)
2. Mix Tuna, Cream of mushroom/Cream of chicken, Noodles, Mushrooms, the softened diced onion and the peas. Pour into a casserole dish.
3. Sprinkle fried onions on top of the mixture and top that with shredded cheese. 
4. Bake at 350°F/177°C for 45 minutes. Enjoy.

Source: Dena Bird 



10 comments:

  1. Like how you snuck those green peas in ;)
    Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. The top almost looks like pie crust! And love that you snuck some veggies in as well. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had or made tuna casserole, but always wanted to! Love retro dishes, yours looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never used to like tuna but just recently I've really taken to it. I've been looking for a good recipe for tuna casserole, so thanks for sharing one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this Dawnie! I need a tuna casserole...I've just started liking tuna in the last few years and haven't made a casserole, this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so great! I love tuna casseroles! And I also really like that you can freeze it so easily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tuna casserole. I've never tried it with fried onions and cheese on top! I will do that next time. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a big tuna person myself, but every now and then I get a craving..... you really can't go wrong with a casserole and yours looks fantastic, might be time to try it again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you want to spice it up a bit, you can go to your local Korean grocery store and look for kimchi jjigae tuna. It's marinaded in spicy red sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good casserole, It's so comforting :)

    ReplyDelete