Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Growing up whenever my mom would ask me what I wanted for my birthday dinner I would say tortilla casserole.  So of course once I had my own kitchen it was one of the first things I mastered.  The best part is its simple and you can put pretty much anything you want in it.  Occasionally I will mix in some salsa or cottage cheese if I have it in the fridge.  I always serve it with just a salad for a side. It is still one of my favorites and now one of Rikards. 

Whenever I leave town I make several in small portions and freeze them for Rikard to throw in the oven for dinner.  It’s perfect for freezer meals just take out and top with cheese.


I truly believe that you cannot go wrong with casseroles, maybe it’s because I am from Utah, but just trust me… They are delicious!  You can take the girl out of Utah, but you cannot take the Utah out of the girl! (That’s a good thing… I think)


Chicken Tortilla Casserole

Ingredients:

4
1 can
1 Pkg
Shredded chicken breasts
Black beans (drained and Rinsed)
Flour tortillas (8)
1 cup
1 can
1Tbsp
1 sm can
1 or 2tsp


Sour cream
Cream of chicken soup
Onion powder
Green chiles (Mild)
chopped Jalapenos (optional)
Salt and pepper


Directions:

1.  Cook and shred chicken (Any method you want)

2.  In a separate bowl mix sour cream, cream of chicken soup, green chiles, onion powder, jalapenos, salt and pepper.

3. Cut tortillas into 2inch squares.  Start by putting a couple table spoons of the sour cream mix in bottom of casserole dish, and then do a layer of tortillas to cover, add half the chicken and cover with all the black beans. Cover black beans and chicken with 1/3 of the sour cream mix. Do another layer of tortillas, chicken, and another 1/3 of the sour cream mix, top with remaining tortillas and the rest of the sour cream mix. Top off with shredded cheese. 

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly. 

5. Garnish with sliced green onions and black olives

No comments:

Post a Comment