Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chocolate Covered Toasted Coconut Caramels


I have been on a huge caramel kick the last month… HUGE! I have been making anything and everything with caramel in it. These were especially fun to make because Rikard was so excited to help make them. It’s amazing how much easier things like this are when you have someone helping you. 






Chocolate Covered Toasted Coconut Caramels

Ingredients
½ Cup               Butter
½ Cup               Light corn Syrup
½ Cup               Light brown sugar
½ Cup               White sugar
½ Cup               sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp                 Vanilla
3 Cups               Shredded coconut
2                      Large bars of milk chocolate
Directions
1. Put the coconut in a glass microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until toasted. 
2. Melt butter. Mix in the corn syrup, brown sugar, white sugar, and sweetened condensed milk. Microwave on high for 3 ½ minutes. Stir. Microwave for an additional 3 ½ minutes (soft ball stage). Add Vanilla
3. Stir toasted coconut into the caramel and pour into a buttered dish. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Microwave chocolate stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
5. Make bite size balls of the coconut caramel (I used a melon scoop). Dip into chocolate. Cool on wax paper. Sprinkle with a little coconut.

I prefer to keep them in the fridge… You might need to put a lock on the fridge to keep these bad boys for disappearing! Enjoy.


22 comments:

  1. YUM! These look super rich and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah this makes me so happy!! I loooove coconut and chocolate AND caramel! Putting them together is guaranteed heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect combo!! These look so good, I'd probably eat too many!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower. These are absolutely amazing. I am drooling right now. You really outdid yourself on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - those are stunning! I love caramels, but I never considered coconut with them! ....then to cover them in chocolate? Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! I could eat so many of these right now! This one has been bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I MUST make these - yum, yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! I'm going to have to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your little treats look perfect! I too love cooking with someone else, mostly my hubby though. Thanks for sharing.

    I loved the poem you shared on my blog, it was beautiful. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing, I love chocolate covered caramels (and coconut!) Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG looks so delicious and easy to make thanx for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These little tiny bites are just perfect . I love cooking with my husband the only problem is I am one control freak and he keeps messing up every thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you guys so much for all the lovely comments and support! It means so much to me. I am so excited that these chocolates made the top 9 on foodbuzz, my first time! Thanks to all of you! I hope you have a fun and safe labor day weekend!
    Xoxo
    Dawnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delicious! The inside of them just leaves me drooling! Congrats on the top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum! I love that they are nut free (a must in our house too!). They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey, wonderful recipe...caramels are the 'scene' currently and I too joined the bandwago. here's my recipe on plain caramels - http://girlcookart.blogspot.com/2011/09/caramel-no-doubt.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, man, you're speaking my language here! I LOVE caramels, but have never thought of combining them with coconut! Genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look so rich and delicious. Love the little coconut garnish on the top!

    ReplyDelete